This fellowship began in 1927 with a prayer meeting held in the home of Elder Park and his wife. Later that year, it was organized as a church under the leadership of the Elder A.B. Malone.
Bishop Wyoming Wells
On July 23, 1941, Bishop Wyoming Wells became the pastor, and for the next
34 years built a ministry that included tent revivals and a popular radio broadcast.
Wells Memorial remembers the dynamic ministry of the late Bishop Wyoming Wells, the Moses-like leader who brought a small struggling congregation from a tiny church
on Small Street to its former stately home at 409 Asheboro Street. The church made
history during the summer of 1946 when it started the first radio church ministry by a Black Greensboro congregation. Hundreds were led to Christ via this Sunday night radio broadcast. Bishop wells went home to be with the Lord in 1974.
Bishop Ithiel C. Clemmons
In 1975, Elder Ithiel C. Clemmons was named the new pastor. He was later elevated to the office of Bishop and General Board member of the Church of God In Christ.
With a progressive ecumenical vision, Bishop Ithiel Clemmons, like Joshua, led this congregation into expanding its ministries in its present home which is located at 1001 East Washington Street, Greensboro, N.C. This edifice was built between 1983 and 1985, and was dedicated on Saturday, June 8, 1985.
In 1986, Bishop Clemmons founded the Prayer & Life Clinic, which provides for Christians from all over this country, a time of "coming away" to be renewed by the Holy Spirit. The Prayer and Life Clinic continues to annually offer the opportunity to spend time in prayer, worship, reflection, and study of the scriptures. The clinic stresses the importance of discerning God's will as we face the challenges of our daily lives.
Under Bishop Clemmons' leadership the congregation built a formidable financial base, tripled its membership, and broadened its appeal to the community. Bishop Clemmons served for 24 years. In January 1999 he went home to be with the Lord.